LAW PRACTICE PROFILE
My practice focuses on commercial litigation, including cases that have involved the law of contract, fraud, agency, negotiable instruments, inheritance, bankruptcy, attorney-client relations, competition, enforcement of judgments, and international arbitration. Many of my clients are in or from Russia, or their cases have arisen from business related to Russia.
My experience since 1985 includes seventeen years in New York litigation practice, nine years residence in Moscow in international transactional practice (1990-2000), and clerkships in U.S. federal courts (trial and appellate levels) and the Israel Supreme Court. I am fluent in Russian and Hebrew and proficient in German.
- Recovered archive of Soviet World War II photographer Evgeny Khaldei from former agent (settled after decision on summary judgment, 2015 Westlaw 5692153)
- Defending photography agent against claim for royalties (Supreme Court, NY County, No. 155679/2014)
- Obtained judgment for $1.4 million against diamond dealer for breach of contract (Supreme Court, NY County, Nos. 651105/2012, 652272/2015)
- Defending decedent’s son against executor’s claim to recover property (Surrogate’s Court, Richmond County, No. 2013-331)
- Suing executor for misappropriating estate property (Supreme Court, Kings County, No. 502884/2013)
- Defending against claims of fraudulent takeover of Russian real estate development group (dismissed under forum non conveniens, 2013 Westlaw 2458855)
- Advising on U.S. tax treatment of Swiss bank accounts and other offshore property
- Assisting counsel of record in defending against insider trading case related to Russia and Central Asia (SDNY, 11-CV-6500; related case, EDNY, 12-MJ-0331)
- Advising counsel of record on Russian law in defense against enforcement of $250 million promissory note (NY County Supreme Court, 602335/2009)
- Opining on U.S. law issues in Russian company’s defense against enforcement of arbitral award (Amsterdam Civil Law Division, 482043/KG RK 11-362)
- Defending against liquidated damages claim of $375,000 for breach of data storage contract (settled for $55,000 after filing motion to dismiss, SDNY, 10-CV-3806)
- Advising Austrian bank on possible litigation against South American government to require payment under sovereign bonds
- Representing a Madoff Ponzi scheme defendant in a government civil forfeiture case (SDNY, 09-CV-9455)
- Counsel to St. George’s Episcopal Church, Brooklyn, NY
Before entering independent practice in 2009, I worked for seven years on the defense of a legal malpractice action arising out of advice on Russian securities and tax law (summary judgment for client law firm, 2010 WL 186387; trial judgment for second law firm in companion case, City and County of Denver, Colorado, 01-CV-1677).
* PRIOR RESULTS DO NOT GUARANTEE A SIMILAR OUTCOME.
LANGUAGESRussian and Hebrew (fluent), German (working knowledge), English (native)
EDUCATIONCornell Law School, J.D. (Editor-in-Chief, Cornell International Law Journal, 1984-85)
Hebrew University of Jerusalem, M.A., Political Science (Soviet studies), 1983
Cornell University, A.B. (Economics), 1978
JUDICIAL CLERKSHIPSIsrael Supreme Court (Judges Aharon Barak and Eliezer Goldberg)
U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit (Judge Albert Engel)
U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York (Chief Judge Howard G. Munson)